- a month ago
- 251 views
Who We’re Looking For
The Senior Backend Engineer acts as a senior member of a group of passionate engineers to help us create software and services for the Discogs product. As a technical subject matter expert, this role is instrumental in driving our technology vision forward and evangelizing development and testing practices that drives Discogs transformation and growth strategies. Requires great ability to multi-task across projects as well as to adapt to different areas of the code where previous knowledge, skills, and experience may not exist. This role provides strong technical leadership and mentorship to develop the capabilities of other team members. This role motivates and fosters collaboration across the teams.
What You’ll Accomplish
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Acts in a senior-level capacity for the technical development and delivery of features within the Discogs catalog, coordinating with Product, UX, QA, and other teams.
- Provides senior-level technical expertise in evaluation, conceptualization, design and development of features.
- Develops and maintains software following an Agile/Scrum methodology.
- Participates at a senior level in the breakdown of stories into technical design and implementation tasks and participates in sprint planning and other scrum methodologies, including estimation and prioritization of development efforts.
- Drives for continuous improvement in performance, scalability, extensibility, reliability, and usability of features.
- Works with privacy and security teams to ensure proper architecture and maintenance.
- Follows accessibility practices in the development of software.
- Communicates effectively with tech and non-tech members, and is capable of delivering feedback to peers and their lead.
- Coaches and mentors other engineers while still maintaining deep individual and team-level contributions.
- Exemplifies how to write and review code and act on data feedback to decide what to build next.
- Monitors and supports health of features in production.
- Develops a working knowledge of tertiary domains.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Education
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year college or university in math\computer science related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years related work experience.
- Preferred technical skills - required when noted. We will consider candidates who have some or all of these skills.:
- Python expertise (required)
- Messaging technologies: Kafka strongly preferred
- Data: MySQL, AWS RDS
- Service-oriented architecture: GraphQL, REST
- Containerization and Orchestration: Docker, Kubernetes, Argo CD
- AWS technologies: EKS / EC2, RDS
- Search: ElasticSearch
- Observability: DataDog, Sentry, New Relic, other
- Other tools: GitHub, JIRA, Slack, Confluence
- Possess advanced knowledge in your specialization to be able to guide and mentor team members.
- Experience designing and leading a software project from requirements to delivery with no guidance.
- Experience completing a significant refactor of an existing software project.
- Experience independently researching and leading technical discussions with peers.
- Thoroughly understands the business vision, mission, and strategy and how their code supports and affects business outcomes.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from key stakeholders and decision makers.
- Working knowledge of taking a large complex project, breaking it down into sub-tasks, and completing those tasks as required.
- Shows initiative and seeks evidence in data to support ideas.
What We Provide
- Competitive compensation: salary, plus performance-related bonus program
- 401(k) with employer match
- 100% company-paid medical and dental insurance benefits for you and your dependents
- 4 weeks paid vacation, increasing based on tenure
- 18 weeks paid leave for birth moms
- 8 weeks paid parental leave, including for adoption
- Monthly wellness allowance
- Annual professional and personal development allowance
- Work from home office set-up and expense allowances
- Flexible work location opportunities
- Employer matching toward charitable contributions
What We Believe In
Discogs’ mission is to serve the music fan in everyone. We represent a diverse and inclusive community, and we are committed to serving our community with innovative and creative solutions. We know that innovation happens best when varying perspectives are embraced and integrated. Our global team reflects our global community.
Discogs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applicants needing accommodation to apply should contact us at 503-597-6340
If you apply for this role, you will be required to upload a resume, cover letter, and fill out a few questions regarding your application. Once submitted, our hiring team will review your application and contact you if you are selected for an interview. Whether you are successful or not, we will store your application and data in our system for a maximum period of one year from the application date in case another role becomes available that you are suitable for. If you have any questions or concerns about us storing this data and/or the period of time, please contact us at email@example.com and we will respond to you within 30 days.